Tips to ensure a speedy recovery

The preparation for surgery. Questions, concerns, comments.

Postby Pamelan64 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 pm

By Pamela Savage RD
Beauty In & Out
508-320-9089
Pamelan64@aol.com

1. Take picture’s of yourself before and each month after so you can see your progress.

2. Idea’s for flavoring: You can use extracts, diet jello mix, diet drink mix, decaffeinated coffee crystals to add to your shakes to vary the flavor. I would recommend buying all your protein powder in vanilla then you can easily add the flavoring to it.

3. Get 9 oz disposable cups. You will need them to monitor your drinking and also won’t use every cup in your house each day.

4. Have measuring cups readily available when you get home. You will want to measure each beverage you take in so you are accurate. I did a test and poured into a glass before I left for the hospital and guessed how much liquid was in it, I was way off.

5. Get your chewable vitamins and calcium and protein shakes before you go into the hospital. You will be on liquid diet before your hospital visits so you can play around with the recopies before hand. Be sure to try your vitamin and calcium tablets to make sure you can tolerate the taste. If it taste bad before your operation it will taste worse after. Get another brand.

6. Check with your pharmacist to see which prescription you are on that come in liquid form. Do not refill all your tablet medications before you have your surgery as you will be switched to liquid formulas and may never need the tablets again. Be sure to try your new liquid medication in the hospital before you leave to make sure you tolerate it. There are often different medications the doctor can have you try before you leave.

7. Bring to the hospital your favorite pillow, top sheet and blanket if you are real particular with what you sleep with. Bring rubber bottom slippers to walk the halls with. Bring your comfy robe to put over the johnnies. Bring underwear and a change of cloths to go home with. Bring your favorite lip balm (lips will be dry from intubations) and hand lotion (hands may get dry from washing them). Bring light reading such as magazines. Bring earplugs if you are sensitive to noise. Winchester hospital has all the amenities except deodorant.

8. If you use a CPAP BIPAP machine be sure to bring it with you to surgery. Be sure to have the nursing staff aware that you use it and set it up with Reparatory. They have a connector which oxygen can be routed into the machine. Know how it is set up and monitor it to make sure you have not disconnected the oxygen which is easy to do.

9. If you can’t sleep at night because you are used to a cold dark room, put a damp cloth over your eyes. And sleep with it on. It also helps with the nausea.

10. Get medicine cups from the nurse before you leave. It will help you to accurately measure your liquid medication when you are home.

11. When you get home start a intake log. Write down what you drink and how much and also medication. It will help you to track if you are keeping up with your fluid recommendations and help you to not overmedicate.

12. Set an alarm clock for every hour, which reminds you to drink. Have your drink by you at all times.
Pamelan64

Re: Tips to ensure a speedy recovery

Postby artrox » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I did most, if not all of these. They are great for keeping you on track, and making sure you get all of your liquids and shakes in.
artrox

Postby Montgomery » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:05 am

Hi Pamelan,
Informative tips to ensure a speedy recovery and will be of great help for many so bookmarkedthe link to share with others. Keep sharing informative stuff to make life healthy for others.
Last edited by Montgomery on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1701 Quincy Ave Unit 26,
Naperville IL 60540
773-359-1771
Montgomery

Postby dalerichardson » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:17 am

Recently went through a knee replacement surgery and its has been only 1 month, so then tips told above are really going to help me to recover fast and the first tip told above is the one no doubt will I definitely follow.
dalerichardson

Return to Before surgery